Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Are There Many Gods or One God? A Brief Study of Mormonism


The purpose of this study is to ask, what do Mormons teach on the doctrine of God?  We will look into the doctrine of God in Mormon theology.  Here is a quote on Mormon theology from a Mormon source,

“How many Gods there are, I do not know.  But there never was a time when there were not Gods” (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, 7:333).

Here is what the Bible teaches on the doctrine of God.  You will notice that it teaches that there is one God and not many gods.

Deuteronomy 6:4 KJV
Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:

Deuteronomy 33:26-27 KJV
26 There is none like unto the God of Jeshurun, who rideth upon the heaven in thy help, and in his excellency on the sky.
27 The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms: and he shall thrust out the enemy from before thee; and shall say, Destroy them.

Isaiah 43:10 KJV
10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the Lord, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isaiah 44:6 KJV
Thus saith the Lord the King of Israel, and his redeemer the Lord of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Isaiah 45:5 KJV
I am the Lord, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

Isaiah 45:21 KJV
21 Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the Lord? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me.

Isaiah 46:9 KJV
Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,

1 Timothy 2:5 KJV
For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Matthew 28:19-20 KJV
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

The study of the Bible shows there is one God revealed in three distinct Persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.  There is no god besides Him.  He alone is God.